Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Mall in Columbia

I live 5 minutes from the Mall in Columbia where the 2 employees at Zumiez were shot on Saturday.  Hubby and I were driving past the Mall on the way home from grocery shopping at around 11:15 a.m. that morning when I noticed an unusual amount of traffic coming from the direction of the Mall.  Then we saw 2 police cars with their lights on racing towards the Mall, and I said "looks like something's up".  So when we got home hubby brought up the link to the police band on his computer and we heard about what was happening over the police scanners.  I had thought about going to Macy's that morning to return a winter coat, and decided to procrastinate until Sunday.  Good thing. 

This is not the first time I have encountered danger.  I lived 2 blocks away from the school in Bowie, MD where the young boy was shot by the DC Sniper.  I rode the bus to work at that time, and was petrified to stand out in the open at the bus stop for fear of being shot.

It is a changed world.  These events wake you up, especially when they are at your doorstep.  I just have to say, live every day as if it's your last, don't procrastinate to tomorrow the things you should do today, and find joy in every day because life is a gift.

No comments: